VARX Race One Report: Daytona

Live TV coverage of Global Rallycross Daytona can be found on NBC  at 2 p.m. ET this Sunday and on Stay up to date on all things Andretti via and @FollowAndretti.
  • The two-time Global Rallycross Champion battled during heat rounds to get the Rockstar Energy Drink Beetle into the main event.
  • After an unfortunate start to the weekend and a mechanical issue, the Colorado-native walked away with a first place finish at Daytona International Speedway.

“Today was another rollercoaster, the poor guys in the garages were fixing everything and anything. We had a piece that was plaguing us, so we didn’t do some of the heats and we didn’t do the practice sessions. After thrashing in the garages all morning, I came into the race on the second row. Once I came into the second corner of the first lap, there was mayhem and a few crashes around us. A couple of cars in front of me collided and I ended up just sneaking through, I literally just went to the open track and drove away. There was a little bit of damage to the Rockstar Energy Drink Beetle, but it’s strong and it held together for the win. It’s awesome for the whole Volkswagen Andretti team after such a hectic day.”


  • Speed started on the outside of the last row during Heat 2A during this morning’s session, he eventually fought his way through the field to sit in the second position until suffering a failure to the No. 41 machine.
  • The failure forced the California-native to retire early for the day and not race in the first of two events of the Global Rallycross double-header weekend.

“We only did one real run this morning and only got in four laps until something failed on the SHARK WEEK Beetle. It’s definitely not a great feeling not being able to race today. We came into this double-header weekend after having so much momentum from Austin, so it hurts a little. We were quick this morning, so we know the speed is there, but these things happen in racing so all we can do is look forward. Big thanks to the entire crew, I know the Volkswagen Andretti team has been working hard to get our Beetle back out there, so we’ll see what happens for tomorrow.”